OPERATING area TELECOM
- Strong demand in the first half of the year, linked to the expansion of 4G, particularly in the US and India. Later in the year, there was a slowdown in demand.
- The prices for antenna cables continued to decline, but there are signs of stabilization.
- Continued measures to reduce the costs of products and the manufacturing process at the facility in China.
- Sales totaled MSEK 313 (337).
Telecom develops and sells cables to antenna manufacturers in mobile telecom. Asia is the largest market, accounting for approximately twothirds of sales. Other markets include Europe and North America. Telecom has its own sales organization in these markets and covers all customer needs with its broad range. The market has long been characterized by price pressure, mainly due to Chinese low-price products that have forced many cable manufacturers to leave the telecom cable segment. Habia has countered this price trend by concentrating its manufacturing and product development to China and constantly developing its products and production processes.
Compared with many competitors, Habia’s proprietary products give customers higher performance at a lower cost, for example, through the profile-extruded version of Flexiform. This telecom cable boasts superior attenuation and helps to increase the range of base-station antennas. Quality, innovation and a broad product range are other competitive advantages for Habia.
Habia has a comprehensive range of cables for radio base-station antennas. Flexiform is available in many variations and accounts for more than 90 percent of sales. New products are launched regularly in order to meet changing technical, environmental and cost requirements. One such example is Flexiform MLF, which offers high quality and electrical performance as well as being able to compete effectively on price. The size of the cable has also been adapted, thereby improving its environmental performance.
OPERATING area Other Industry
- The growth in Other Industry contributed to Habia’s total order bookings exceeding SEK 1 billion for the first time.
- Breakthrough year for offshore, where several supply contracts were signed.
- The business area’s performance in nuclear power was in line with the preceding year. Several contracts that will broaden the customer base were signed at the end of 2018.
- Strong growth in defense after a few years of weaker demand.
- Very high demand from customers in general industry in the first half of the year, followed by a return to more normal levels. Strongest development in Germany, the UK and Scandinavia.
- Sales totaled MSEK 548 (472).
Habia is one of Europe’s largest manufacturers of custom-designed cables. Its products are adapted to specific customer requirements and are often used in high-tech applications. Its customers include companies in nuclear power, defense and offshore as well as industrial companies in areas such as transport, engine and turbine manufacturing, and tool, measuring and sensor technology. The company’s sales encompass about 50 countries. The largest markets are Germany, France, the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries. Cables are manufactured in Sweden, Germany and China. Cable harnesses are manufactured in Poland.
Habia specializes in customer-driven development of cables and cable harnesses, where innovative ability, technical competence and close customer cooperation are key competitive advantages. Its products are customized by technical sales staff and designers at the plants and sales companies. Habia also has a shared R&D department with expertise in materials, electrical properties, cable design and test methods. Since many cables are manufactured in small volumes, the company’s flexible and customer order-based production process is also a strength. Short lead times and the ability to deliver cables throughout the world are also important factors for Habia’s customers.
Cables and cable harness are often used in demanding environments, where they are exposed to everything from large temperature differences and fire to extensive bending, fluids and radiation. To handle this, many of the company’s products are manufactured in robust, high-performance materials. Its cables are used, for example, in military applications, electric power tools, gas turbines and marine diesel engines. One focus area is offshore, which, despite adjustments in the energy sector, is a significant market in which Habia has launched several products and has world-leading technology.